Decisions Decisions! Decisions

    After having a conversation with our teacher, we realized we're on the right track with our progress (besides the whole filming late thing). This means that a lot of the decisions we have to make about how we want to go about doing certain things comes down to us. Yay! I love making having to make decisions about things I'm completely unsure about! STN is in less than a few hours so I won’t have much time to think about this film opening which means we need to make these decisions now or never!
    Decision number 1 is whether or not the awards will glitch between first and other places or if they’re stay stagnant with 1 award being first place and the others being lower places. Both options convey different messages which means I have to decide which message I want to convey more. The first option, would demonstrate Cam’s imposter syndrome as well as his low self esteem. He’s so incased in his own perception of his work that he literally cannot see the true recognition he’s been given for it. Meanwhile, the other option would show the artists frustration with the lack of recognition they feel they’re getting. 
me asking
    Decision number 2 is whether or not to splash the artist with paint in the first shot, or have hands cover them in paint. If we splash the artist with paint, it would likely convey the artist being overwhelmed with their job. If we have hands cover the artist with paint, it would likely convey how they're art has a literally grasp on them, controlling their life in a way that's toxic and destructive. The second option I prefer since it fits with the general theme of the opening a little more and I feel it will add a bit more impact to the second artists part. But whether or not my actor would be confortable with that is debateable. So, I asked! 
    Last decision is a silly one and that's whether or not I want to use a fog machine. Now, hear me out. It would be used for the opening shot of the opening when the spotlight is on the artist. The goal is not to make it look like theres fog, moreso to create a bit more atmosphere especially since this is a void shoot. It would hopefully show the rays of light coming from the spotlight which would emphasize the theatrics of it all, making the old artist look exposed. But would this be too much? I've never used a fog machine like this before so I feel this will require further testing. I'll get back to you on this.
    So two of my 3 decisions have been resolved making the rest of this a little easier. I'll likely have the awards glitch out, since I prefer the imposter syndrome narrative. Not only do I feel it's more relatable for my target audience, but I also feel it fits the overall tone I want to set for the opening of what the story will be about. Also, (after recieving permission from my actor) will likely have the artist be covered in paint by hands to convey the art consuming the artist rather than overwhelming the artist. Fog machine is still up for debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FILM OPENING

 Here it is in all it's glory