Translating Pictures to Words

     A good friend once told me that a good script should also be a good read, which is why they prefer not to include directions such as shots, cuts, or behind the scenes actions in it in order to avoid breaking the immersion. Now I agree, a script should be a good read. But I WANT TO WRITE THOSE DIRECTIONS! Whenever I have an idea I like, I always try to write it down somewhere before I forget it. Which is why, whenever I write a script, and I'm immersed in my own train of ideas. I always get the urge to write down the directions for those ideas.

    For example, in every script I've written for informational videos,  I always write down the composition of the shot, the movement of the camera, and the edits being made. It helps me get a better sense of the whole this way. I can translate everything that is going through my mind into words. Which is why it pains me whenever I try to write a script without those directions. I can only do so much describing the environment and actions of the characters. I need to describe exactly what the camera is showing, and how it is showing it to us. What if I forget it? What if I look back at the script and can no longer visualize the film in the way I did before. What if I can't visualize it at all. 

    Now there are solutions to this problem. I can always create a shot list to refer to while filming, that way I still have the shots written down somewhere. So for this script, I decided to challenge myself, and avoid writing any sort of behind the scenes directions, what is read is what the audience knows. I'll admit, this was quite the challenge for me. I ended up splitting up the time between writing a script and writing a shot list since the ideas were flowing at the same time. However I think I've come up with something that works pretty well as a stand alone read. 

Take A Gander


No comments:

Post a Comment

FILM OPENING

 Here it is in all it's glory