Making My Life Harder

    I have a love hate relationship with storyboarding. For starters. I love how useful they can be in terms of providing a visual aid for the film. However, I hate how tedious it can get especially when there are certain elements of the background that are important and therefore need to be drawn. I love how easy it can be to film when I already have a storyboard but I hate how easy it can be to underestimate how much time a shot will take up depending on how many actions are in it. So when creating the storyboard for this opening, I was faced with the question of how detailed do I need it to be?

    I settled for a middle ground… initially. I often underestimate my ability to rationalize overworking myself. Story boards don’t need to be drawn perfectly but in my eyes, it it’s not perfect, it’s not good enough. Now I’m starting to sound like the characters in the opening. At one point. I took a break. There’s was a YouTube video on my feed that related to the opening. It was called “Why Artists Are Never Happy”. It caught my eye so I watched it, and it helped provide some insight into the character of my film opening. What if the old artist never did receive that first place award. Or maybe they did but they were so  blinded by their own perfectionism that they couldn’t even see it as a first place award. I thought the concept of seeing what isn’t there was cool. And I was reminded again of Black Swan and how the main character began hallucinating herself becoming a swan as the
y become more and more obsessed with perfecting the role. It got me thinking, what if the old artists paintings had all won first place? What if it was solely their own inner turmoil that kept them feeling inadequate?

    This ended up helping the overall development of the storyboard seeing as I could use little bits of set design to give away more information about the charcter without expicitly saying too much. I ended up being able to finish the first minute and a half or so of the film openings story board. Whilst there are a few set details that still need ironing out, at least we have the basics down. Ironically this also helped sooth a bit of the perfectionist attitude I had towards creating the storyboard, which ultimately helped me move foward at a faster pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FILM OPENING

 Here it is in all it's glory